Delete Mode - When turned on, deletes any item clicked. Also, shift clicking the button deletes the entire inventory. This will also delete items in chests and other storage blocks.
Toggle Rain - Changes rain from on to off. Applies to snow when in taiga and ice plains biomes.
Creative Mode - Sets the player to creative and survival mode. Creative+ gives the pl
ayer extra inventory slots and moves the armor to the side of the inventory.
Magnet Mode - When on, all items in a 16 block radius will move towards the player.
Set Time - There are options to set the time to dawn, noon, dusk, and midnight.
Heal Player - Sets the player at full health and hunger when clicked.
You can also change modes in NEI by opening your inventory, selecting options and clicking the button that states the mode it is currently in. By default it will be in Cheat Mode. You can change to two other modes, Recipe Mode and Utility Mode. Changing modes alters the features available as shown above.
- Cheat mode displays all features, and you may spawn items in your inventory by either left clicking, spawning a stack of that item, or right clicking, spawning a single item. It is also possicle to find recipes.
- Recipe mode displays none of the above features, and only shows the list of items with the Search Bar and Item Subsets. Left clicking on an item in the item list will display the recipe(s) for that item, and right clicking will display the recipe(s) that item is used in. Be mindful that if there are more than two recipes for an item there will be more than one page of recipes. NEI will also have the different crafting/ smelting/ crushing etc. methods on different pages, for example Shaped Crafting, Shapeless Crafting, Microblocks, Rolling Machine etc.
- Utility mode is exactly the same as Recipe mode but with the features of Delete Mode and Magnet Mode.
Search Bar - Allows for the searching of any item or block in the game. Double clicking the search bar highlights possible items in the inventory.
"R" Key - Gives the recipe for the selected block or item.
- Note: Default Keyboard Control layout uses the "R" Key to Sort Inventory. Using the "R" Key or Selecting an item in Recipe mode will sort your inventory.
"U" Key - Shows the recipes that the selected block or item is used in.
"O" Key - Enables and disables the NEI interface.
Pressing the enchantment key (default X) brings up the enchantment selector GUI. It allows you to place an item in the slot and select the enchantments and level that could be applied from an enchantment table. The level can go up to a maximum of X (10 in roman numerals). Clicking on an enchantment toggles it on and off (to prevent bugs). The normal multiple enchantment conflict rules apply so you can't have fortune and silk touch together. Unfortunately, due to space limitations, some names have had to be shortened, e.g. Projectile to Proj, Protection to Protect, and Bane of Arthropods to Arthropods. Enchantment names will only be shortened if there is not enough space, e.g. Protection will be shortened to Protect if you set level 8 because "VIII" takes up more space than is given in the tooltip of the item.
- Sometimes when you change from recipe mode to utility, it will get stuck in utility mode. Sometimes the recipe bar disappears.
- In the current version, it sometimes fails to show the recipes for the Iron Chest mod.
- If you save a set of items in a Tekkit world, then go into a multiplayer server and select that inventory file, your inventory will be completely wiped and it will be impossible to get it back
- Pressing 'Load' in SMP while looking into a chest will wipe the items in the chest.
- Sometimes recipies from CCsensors mod will not appear while looking for uses for items.
- When in recipe mode, and you select an item to show its recipe, it may go into the saving chunks screen for a couple of seconds, then the screen will turn white and the game will close itself.
- When in a chest GUI, changing NEI modes may cause the chest to get stuck open. (graphical)
- Scrolling items from the armor slots or a fuel slot will cause Minecraft to crash.
- In the current version, Industrial Craft recipes are broken.
- The Default Keyboard Control layout uses the "R" Key to Sort Inventory. Using the "R" Key or Selecting an item in Recipe mode will sort your inventory.